The name means “pick me up,” and it does, indeed. There are many different versions of this popular dessert, but this is the true peasant version.
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tbsp sweet Marsala
- 1 Tbsp water
- 250 grams (approx. 10 oz.) mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup strong coffee or espresso, cold and slightly sugared
- 12 lady fingers, broken into thirds
- 2 oz. combination of dark or milk chocolate, grated and dark cocoa
Beat the egg yolks and sugar together with an electric mixer until pale and thick. Slowly beat in the marsala and the water. Add the mascarpone, and beat until the mixture is thick and smooth. Next, drop three lady finger pieces in the bottom of each of wine glass or other bowl shaped serving piece. Drizzle 1/3 to 1/2 of the coffee mixture over the lady fingers. Then, spoon in 1/3 to 1/2 of the mascarpone, and sprinkle with the chocolate mixture.
Repeat with one or two more layers (depending on the size of the glass) with the remaining ladyfingers, coffee, mascarpone, and chocolate. Cover and chill for 2 hours before serving.
Makes 4 to 6 servings, depending on the size of the glass.